Thursday, June 25, 2009

Dinara Safina battles knee problem

Dinara Safina is hoping a problematic knee will not get in the way of her Wimbledon challenge as she prepares for her second round meeting with Rossana De Los Rios of Paraguay later today.

The world number one battled through the pain barrier in her opening win over Lourdes Dominguez Lino having been struck by tendinitis, the same injury which forced Rafael Nadal to withdraw from the men's event.

Safina is aiming to win her first grand slam title, and is keeping her fingers crossed her knee will not deteriorate as the tournament progresses.

"It's been bothering me already since April, since the clay court season," said the Russian.

"In some tournaments I'm playing just on Voltaren (a painkiller) because it's so painful to go on the knee on the serve.

"Since the move to grass, the surface is softer, so I have to push more. But I'm having treatment here so hopefully I can play. It's nothing that's killing me."

the rest

No comments:

Post a Comment